I am an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park where I direct the Resilient Cyber-Physical Systems Lab. Before joining UMD, I was a joint postdoctoral associate at University of California, Berkeley, University of California, Los Angeles, and University of Pennsylvania working with Prof. George J. Pappas, Prof. Sanjit A. Seshia, and Prof. Paulo Tabuada. I received my Ph.D. from the Electrical Engineering Department at the University of California, Los Angeles in 2015 under the supervision of Prof. Paulo Tabuada and Prof. Mani Srivastava.
My research goal is to develop algorithms and tools to reason about the resilience, security, and privacy of Artificial Intelligence (AI) controlled Cyber-Physical Systems and Internet-of-Things (IoT), in general, and robotic systems, in particular, providing a scientific basis to understand their fundamental properties and guide their design. My work spans both theoretical and experimental aspects of CPS and draws on tools from formal methods, embedded systems, control theory, and machine learning.
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering
University of California, Los Angeles, 2015
Dissertation: "Security and Privacy in Cyber Physical Systems: Attacks and Countermeasures" Distinguished PhD Dissertation Award!
- M.Sc. in Computer and Systems Engineering
Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt, 2010
Thesis: "Model Predictive Control (MPC) on Chip"
- B.Sc. in Computer and Systems Engineering
Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt, 2007
- NSF CAREER Award, February 2019.
- Best Demo Award, 16th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN), CPS Week, April 2017.
- Distinguished PhD Dissertation Award, EE Department, UCLA, 2016.
- Best Paper Award, ACM/IEEE 7th International Conference on Cyber Physical Systems (ICCPS), CPS Week, April 2016.
- Winner, NSF Cyber-Physical Systems Early-Career Investigator’s (NSF-ECI) Research Competition, CPS Week, April 2015.
- Preliminary Exam Fellowship, EE Department, UCLA, February 2012.
- Chancellor Prize Fellowship, EE Department, UCLA, Summer 2011,2012.
- Graduate Division Fellowship, EE Department, UCLA, 2011/2012.
- Fall 2018: ENEE 459I/ENEE 759I Introduction to Cyber-Physical Systems
- Spring 2018: ENEE 351 Algorithms and Data structures
- Fall 2017: ENEE 459I/ENEE 759I Introduction to Cyber-Physical Systems
- ICCPS 2019 (Program Committee)
- ACM SafeThings 2018 (Program Committee co-chair)
- ICCPS 2018 (Program Committee)
- HSCC 2018 (Program Committee)
- ACM SafeThings 2017 (Program Committee)
- CPS-IoT Week, Montreal, Canada, April 2019
- CDC, Miami Beach, FL, Dec. 2018.
- NSF Expeditions PI Meeting, Washington, DC, Dec 2018
- NSF CPS PI Meeting, Arlington, VA, Nov. 2018
- ECE, UCSD, San Diego, CA, Oct 2018
- CS, Stanford, Palo Alto, CA, Oct 2018
- ES Week, Torino, Italy, Sept 2018
- Mathworks Research summit, Boston, July 2018
- CPS Week 2018, Porto, Portugal, April 2018
- CDC, Melbourne, Australia, Dec 2018
- EE, USC, Los Angeles, CA, Dec 2017
Office: 2347 AV Williams Building, 8223 Paint Branch Drive, College Park, MD 20742
Lab: 2352 AV Williams Building, 8223 Paint Branch Drive, College Park, MD 20742
Phone: (301) 405-0772